Saturday, April 30, 2011

London Walk #1: Regents Park Walk

Over the course of the term, we are assigned to complete 10 walks in London. We have a book that details the sights we will see and shows a map of the route we should take. Our assignment is to create a short blog post about our experience. So, anytime my post is titled London Walks # (some number), it is an assignment. I considered creating a separate blog for this, but I figured I might as well just share it here.

Today, after a beautiful walk along the canals and Little Venice, and a wonderful lunch at Camden Market, we took a stroll through Regents Park.

Regents Park was first declared as Royal hunting grounds by Henry VIII. It is now a huge grass area with cafes, ponds with paddle boating, areas for sporting games, fancy villas, and gorgeous gardens.

I was amazed by the incredible greenery and pink and white blossoms on many of the trees. My favorite was seeing the Mermaid fountain at Queen Mary’s Gardens. It was beautiful and it reminded me of my mother who absolutely loves mermaids. My mom would have wanted to find a miniature version in a souvenir shop to take home…even though she hates souvenir shops!

It was a beautiful day today. The sun was shining and there was a light breeze. There were families having picnics and groups of boys playing football. There was a family playing kickball and lots of people walking their dogs. I thoroughly enjoyed this walk through the park today. (Even though my feet were hurting pretty badly after a very long walk to the canal, along the canal, and to Camden markets and back.) But I felt so lucky to be there, I could have kept going all day! I was having a great time enjoying the gorgeous, sunny London day.

This one’s for you, Mom!

Jessica, Kristen, Emily, Me, Taylor, and Andrea

These mermaids have bums!

Stay tuned. The rest of today's adventures will be posted tomorrow. (Internet is too slow to do it now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment