Sunday, May 1, 2011

Linden Trees

Yesterday was a walking day. We walked for miles. But I loved being outside. On our way to the canals (Little Venice), we stopped in an amphitheater like place. Our teacher pointed out the linden trees behind us. My brain twitched…linden trees! Ever since I was a little girl, I have wondered what linden trees were! When Makenna was still in my mom’s belly, we acquired a few baby name books and I was fascinated with all the name meanings. Naturally, I looked up my own name. The definition I found for Lindsey was this: “linden tree island.” I was immediately disappointed. I thought, what is a linden tree? I always pictured a funny looking palm tree on a hula-hoop sized island with a few coconuts on the ground. Well, I was wrong. Quite wrong indeed.

THIS is a linden tree. The tree for which I am named. (Whether my parents knew it or not.) And I loved it!

Little Italy was beautiful. There are all these long and narrow, but small boats. Some people rent them, but most people live in them! Can you imagine living in such a cramped space? I decided it would be fun. I would love it….for a night or two. We had to duck under some low bridges and walk right past people front yards, if you can call them yards. They have little porches on the outside of their boats. Some boats had a little garden on the land right next to their boats.


Kristen and Me

After the canals, we ventured out to Camden Market. When I mentioned that I wanted to visit this place before, a certain boy who is very protective of me, (some of you may know him as my wonderful boyfriend, Ben) warned me about it. I must have been in the right areas of town though, because the market was wonderful. We did walk by some pretty sketchy Canal people. There were sitting on top of their boats with their cigarettes and their dreadlocks. I would understand if the night life got a little sketchy.

But the market was great. There was every type of food you can imagine. Indian, North African, Chinese, Thai, Turkish, Pakistanian, American…? No. Not American. There was a stand with burgers. But I don’t think Americans would serve Ostrich burgers or Alligator burgers. There was German candy, crepes, pina coladas, Belgian chocolate covered fruit, cupcakes, and the list goes on. Then there was jewelry, headbands, scarves, trinkets, and much more. It was crowded and fun. I loved it. It seemed like just the right thing to be doing on a beautiful sunny day.

Taylor and I went for a delicious Curry dish. She got chicken, garbanzo beans, and potato curry. I got mixed veggies and a lentil concoction curry. It was splendid.

Camden Market!

Of course I have to pose in a telephone booth! This is at Regents Park.

We also went to the National Gallery yesterday. We only had an hour and a half before it closed. But believe me, I will be returning again and again. It was incredible. I feel like I only saw less than 1% of the museum! I saw for the first time in my life original Leonardo Davinci paintings and Rembrandt paitings and Boticelli paintings. I haven’t seen them yet, but Van Gogh’s work is there! Ah it’s incredible! I can’t wait to go back.

Me and Tara on Primrose Hill at Regents Park. Our skirts kept flying up in the breeze!

Look, it's my road! Just kidding! It's Kate's road, I guess.

Today I went to church for the first time in England! Five girls and I from BYU attend the Peckham ward, which is just less than an hour away when we walk to the Tube, change Tubes twice, and then walk another short distance. The ward members are awesome. I would say 95% of the ward is African. I only saw probably less than ten white people today. And I think more people have African accents than British, but it’s probably just over half and half. I am to teach Sunday school to the teenagers a few times while I am here. Tara and I will alternate weeks teaching. I was so excited to receive this calling. I love working with teens! And these kids are hilarious and rambunctious. The kids were constantly laughing and their teacher was great. He is younger too. Probably in his mid to late twenties. He had very good things to say and he handled the kids very well. In sacrament meeting, we all got up and introduced ourselves. One of our girls, Emily, had to play the piano for sacrament, primary, and a musical number practice after. She’ll have to do the number next week with a few ladies singing. Everyone is so glad to have us. Church was a very different experience today, and I enjoyed it very much am excited for next week.

Oh and as a last thought…I do not like pickles. BUT in England, they have lots of different kinds of pickles! Do we have that in the U.S.? They still have a strange taste, but they are much more interesting and kind of fun for my taste buds! At the first restaurant I went to, they came on my plate and I decided to try one. It was curried pickle! Yum. And at the Indian stand today, they had a couple kinds that you can scoop onto your meal. It was more like a pickle jelly or pickle salsa. I tried each one. There was mango sweet, spicy, and tangy. Very interesting things, those pickles. I see them a lot and I think of my sister who loves strange food, Kelley. Why are our pickles so boring?

2 comments:

  1. curried pickles... mmm. you're taste buds may change after living abroad ;) I'm positive that mine have! Oh what a wonderful world full of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Linden Tree= Beautiful Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete