Wednesday, May 4, 2011

London Walk #3: Westminster Walk

On Monday, we took a walk around the Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace area of the city. The group was me, Andrea, Kristin, Sarah, Cara, Bri, Alison, and Taylor. We hit a lot of tourist hot spots on this one. The Tube station exits right in front of Big Ben and the Parliament houses. It was the first time I saw Big Ben up close, and of course I thought of my Big Ben at home.
So I took a picture of me blowing a kiss. But it didn’t turn out well, so I’m not posting it. But anyway, I miss you, Ben! (Ok you can all gag and roll your eyes now.) But really, Big Ben was pretty amazing to see. After seeing pictures of it as the symbol of the city of London for my whole life, to see it in person was pretty fun.

Next stop was Horse Guards Parade, the former jousting field of Whitehouse Palace. Now it is used every June for the Trooping the Color ceremony and 2,000 red coated foot guards with military bands parade their flags for the Queen’s birthday parade.

We strolled past the former home of Sir Isaac Newton, who discovered the law of gravity.

We really liked St. James’s Palace, which hasn’t been used as a royal palace since the 1800s. Now it provides a London base for Charles, the Prince of Wales.

Of course Westminster Abbey was an incredible sight. We didn’t spend too much time there because we will be getting a tour of the place with our group. I can’t wait for that!

Me and Cara pretending to be guards at St. James Palace

Sarah, Me, Taylor, and Andrea in front of the Victoria Memorial at Buckingham Palace

Look, Mom! I found another mermaid! Woo, woo. I think British people like mermaids. I've seen a lot and don't worry, I take a picture of every one I see.

2 comments:

  1. You look like a euro girl with your bangs in this last pic. love it. love you. miss you.

    ReplyDelete