Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Three Faves

Millennium Bridge leading across the River Thames to St. Paul's Cathedral (View from the top floor of the Tate Gallery of Modern Art)


Of the ten assigned walks, my three favorite were:
1. Regents Park. I loved this one because we got to walk through one of the most beautiful parks in London on one of the sunniest days we’ve had. This is the park that the dogs of 101 Dalmations like to go walking. It was full of families and friends playing football, having picnics, and just walking around. It was a lovely day. Without the assignment to walk here, I doubt I ever would have ventured through Regents Park. And I never would have found my favorite mermaid fountain! (Which would have been tragic.)
2. Fleet Street and St. Paul’s. This walk was packed with fun sights. I saw my favorite church, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Millenium Bridge, (the one in Harry Potter 6), Daniel Radcliffe’s Alma Mater, Samuel Johnson’s former home, and another beautiful church, St. Bride’s, where we got to hear some beautiful live piano music and a pretty awesome crypt. It was also fun to see all the business men in their fancy suits hurrying back to work after their lunch breaks.
3. Lambeth and the Southbank. This walk had many beautiful sights. My favorite part was seeing Big Ben and Parliament from across the Thames. That building never ceases to amaze me. It is lovely and massive, and I can’t wait to tour it on Saturday. The walk had both very touristy areas and some very quiet places too. It was fun to walk along the river and do some people watching. (There are funny people all over this city.) It was a beautiful sunny day and a fun way to spend the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. The view of St Paul's in this photo is stunning! What a terrific shot. I really like your top three choices. Regent's is a classic London park, and Fleet Street and Lambeth offer some of the most traditional landmarks of the city. Nice choices, Lindsey.

    Your blog has become a great record of you time in London, and I'm sure it'll provide some great memories in a few years. Thanks for making such nice work of it.

    You are now officially a graduate of the London Walks course. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete